Celebrate Family Volunteer Day on Nov. 21!
A great way to introduce the "season of giving" is by providing opportunities for your employees and their families to volunteer together!
Family Volunteer Day, traditionally held on the Saturday before Thanksgiving in the U.S., is a day of service that celebrates the power of families who work together to support their neighbors and neighborhoods. Each year, thousands of families use the day to teach children valuable real-life lessons about compassion and helping others.
On Nov. 21, 2020, Points of Light will mark the 30th anniversary of Family Volunteer Day. This year, the needs are greater than ever before. Although volunteering may look different, there are still so many ways to give back. Volunteering together is a great way for kids and adults to make new friends, develop compassion for their neighbors, and even pick up a new skill or two!
Encourage your fellow employees to take time out with their family to help others, whether that’s safely in-person or at-home, and make a positive mark on the world.
How Does Family Volunteering Benefit Businesses?
Providing opportunities through your workplace for families – in all forms – to volunteer together…
- Enhances quality time for families by expanding learning opportunities for children.
- Provides an opportunity for family members to develop skills in such areas as leadership, problem-solving, as well as improved organizational skills.
- Promotes family cohesion and builds strong families. Research has identified several qualities that make strong families, including establishing routines such as shared activities, meaningful traditions and connecting to the community.
- Gives children positive role models.
- Demonstrates to children and youth the values of kindness, empathy, respect, friendliness and tolerance.
- Improves and increases communication among family members.
- Contributes to healthy family connections by offering venues that give family members a common interest.
- Offers the chance to learn more about their community.
- Supports employees’ work-life balance.
- Inspires a lifetime of service.
And just like your social impact programs in general, family volunteering…
- Connects employees to the community in which they work and helps them to strengthen the community environment.
- Increases feelings of well-being, employee morale and builds a positive attitude in the workplace.
- Improves the workplace by breaking down barriers among employees, reinforcing teamwork and building commitment.
- Adds an extra dimension of sharing, caring, and creates a sense of community among employees.
- Positively impacts a company’s image in the community and demonstrates the commitment of a company and its employees to the communities in which it is doing business.
- Inspires broader participation in service.
- Demonstrates your company’s organizational values in action outside of the workplace.
Visit www.pointsoflight.org/familyvolunteerday/ to find resources to share with your workplace like project ideas, DIY videos and more!